Title: National Water Resource Infrastructure Agency Bill, 2023: Notification to Introduce the Bill into Parliament and Publication of Explanatory Summary of the Bill.
Gazette reference: GN 3746 in GG 49063, on 1 August 2023.
Commencement date: TBD.
On 1 August 2023, the Minister of Water and Sanitation announced his intention to introduce the National Water Resource Infrastructure Bill, 2023 into Parliament. The following Explanatory Summary of the Bill was published:
The Bill seeks:
- To establish a juristic person under the ownership and control of the State in order to administer, fund, finance, develop, operate, maintain, manage and provide advisory services in respect of national water resources infrastructure in an efficient and cost-effective manner to meet the social and economic development needs of current and future water users within the framework of national government policy and in accordance with section 27(1)(b) of the Constitution;
- to ensure the sustainable, equitable and reliable supply of water to meet nationally and regionally defined social and economic objectives of government;
- to transfer national government waterworks to the Agency;
- to alleviate the burden on the State’s resources in water resources development; and
- to provide for the disestablishment of the TCTA and the transfer of all its assets, liabilities, rights, obligations, powers, Treaty and non-treaty functions as a going concern into the Agency.
A copy of the Bill can be accessed at the Department of Water and Sanitation’s website here.